Back pain is the most common problem which most of the people of the world suffers at least once in their lifetime. There are many other diseases, symptoms, and ailments connected with the back pain or specifically lower back pain. Sciatica nerve pain is being one of the symptoms and problems that are often confused with lower back pain.
Sciatica is the term referred to the symptoms such as nerve pain, weakness, numbness, tingling sensation felt in the sciatic nerve located in the nerve roots of the spine, travels along the buttock, back of thigh down to the calf, and up to the feet. The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body. Its symptoms and pain are sometimes unable to diagnose as its area of location and condition are almost similar to that of lower back pain.
Back solutions clinic has been researching on various lower back pain problems and symptoms from a long time now and has been able to successfully determine certain affordable and effective non-surgical treatments for the same. Sciatica nerve pain is generally felt on one side of the body. Any pressure on the nerve or compressed nerve or pinched nerve often leads to sciatic nerve pain. The few major causes of sciatica are:
- Herniated disc or ruptured disc.
- Bulging disc.
- Slipped disc.
- Pregnancy – As allot of weight on the lower back puts pressure on the nerves.
- Spinal Stenosis.
- Pinched Nerve – Nerve roots compression.
- Stress and depression.
- Lifting heavy weights with a sudden jerk.
- Bad body posture movements while sitting, sleeping and bending.
- Being Overweight or Obesity.
- Strenuous Jobs like long-standing and sitting working hours.
- Lack of physical movement or exercise.
Sciatica is generally diagnosed by doing a number of tests and a thorough physical and medical examination. The tests done are few blood tests, MRI (Magnetic Resonance imaging), X-rays, and CT Scans.
With the help of these results we can determine the underlying cause of sciatica pain and then the experts provide accordingly effective sciatica nerve treatment. Sciatica pain generally improves with time, with the help of few exercises and medicines. There are other methods/treatments also available to relieve pain:
- Minding body postures by avoiding long sitting and standing and also bending.
- Ice and heat therapy.
- Medications for pain relief.
- Physical movement and exercises.
- Massages like muscle and body relaxant.
Out of all, exercises are the best affordable and healthy method for treatment for sciatica. The various exercises are:
- Strengthening exercises – Strong core is a sign of healthy body and mind. Therefore along with strong back muscle and spine strengthening exercises, abdominal, buttock and hip muscle strengthening should also be done to relieve pain as they support the back and lower spine in carrying body’s maximum weight. Also, it aligns the back and makes it more prone to fewer chances of injury or damage.
- Stretching exercises – Stretching is most recommended to relieve sciatic nerve pain as they target the tight and inflexible muscles. Hamstring muscle stretching is also very beneficial. Other important stretching techniques includes bird dog move and plank bird dog move.
- Low-impact aerobic exercises like walking, swimming, yoga, Pilates encourage the exchange of fluids and nutrients and create a better healing environment.